Marriage is a lifetime commitment, a lifetime relationship that begins with getting engaged, tying the knot, and finally accepting each other as your ‘better half’ or spouse. This relationship can have many forms. It can be a marriage based on love, or it can be an arranged marriage. While holding each other’s hands, couples should not only promise each other to be there forever and always, but to carry on their relationship while being each other’s support so that it can flourish more and more as the time passes. After marriage, life is totally different from what it used to be before. That difference requires many things, adjustments at each step to be made. There are some things, some key points, newlywed couples should follow to make their relationship last forever and to have a successful marriage.
Always work on these things as it will lead you to a happy and lifelong relationship.
1. In your first year of marriage build an understanding between you two, as it is the most important factor in a successful relationship.
2. Communication is the lifeline of a successful and lifelong relationship. Never allow communication to cease between you, always keep in touch via text or phone calls.
3. Always respect each other's views. This builds mutual respect which adds value to a relationship.
4. Always try to make adjustments for each other, it doesn't mean sacrificing your happiness, rather handling situations according to the needs at the time and expectations which may need adjusting.
5. Always make time for each other no matter how busy you have been all day. Spend some time together while talking about your day.
6. Stay true to each other. Never try to hide things as a relationship should be as transparent as water. Whatever your flaws are, who you are, whatever your views are, and whatever your attitude is towards life, it should be clear between you two.
7. Always discuss decisions regarding your personal life with each other.
8. Maintain your privacy. Don't let others interfere in your personal matters.
9. Always be ready to help each other whether it be with household chores or any other work.
10. Whenever an argument takes place, or you have a fight, don’t be in the habit of always wanting to win the argument. It is a relationship, a lifetime commitment—not a game.
11. Last but not least, enjoy every moment of life and being together.
By Urvashi Vats
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org